Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Reverb

It's a cool thing when the ripple you have begun bounces back to bathe you in its rings. If you move through the world with the clear, simple, unselfish desire to try and do the right thing, you aren't even looking for the ripple's effect on you.   If your heart is open and you truly want to help people have their best day, their best life, you send out ripples without even trying...they just flow.  Just like when 'they' say, "When you stop looking for something, that's when it will show up"; if you give all you have inside to each person you interact with, the goodness rebounds and washes right back over little ol' you.

A key lesson I learned as a student in massage school is this; "It's not about the therapist."  In other words, you are to greet each client with an open mind, meet them where they are, and provide them with the best experience possible, no matter what the purpose of their appointment is. You can always make suggestions based on what you've learned, but ultimately, it's about them, not you. There is no room for a therapist with a giant ego in a massage session, no matter how educated they may be. The humble therapist wipes the slate clean each and every session, even those sessions with clients they've seen month after month. The humble therapist, no matter his specialty, sends an immediate ripple of acceptance, love and safety toward his client.

It's no secret that I absolutely love my work as a licensed massage therapist. LOVE it!  Most of the time I don't even have to say that out loud...it pretty much squeezes out from my pores like sunshine through a screen door. No matter how my day has begun or is progressing, whether I feel sad or sick or grouchy or frustrated, the minute I greet my client with a handshake, the ripple is cast. My silly personal dramas vanish and the focus shifts to the client. I feel awesome the minute my hands contact them. The ripples continue to spread.

As the session progresses, any number of scenarios unfold.  However, the common denominator is that the client's stress melts away. That's why they come. Clients may be silent. They may speak only to guide you toward their discomfort or provide feedback on what's evolving for them relief-wise. They may spend a few minutes catching up with you if they are a regular visitor to your table. They may even spend the entire session talking.  Sharing their stories, histories, concerns, experiences, discomforts. No matter the amount of conversation, the vibe is relaxing. More stress melts away.

This is where the ripples begin their reverb. If I have truly listened to my client, heard them well and interpreted clearly what they've asked for, and we have then spent the entire session talking, I have truly been blessed with return ripples of love and gratitude.  Reminders over and over again of the many reasons I am so happy and fulfilled in my work. Getting to know a person while helping them to feel better, relax, recharge, restart, and go forward well...such a great thing!

As the session comes to a close, I thank my client for coming to my table. Often I will say something like this before I leave the room, "I enjoyed talking with you.  It's not ever supposed to be about the therapist, but it's been my absolute pleasure to share some healing time with you today. I hope you continue to feel well, and that I'll see you again soon."

Once out of the room, I savor the ripples that have come back to me.  I can happily bask in them, knowing I sent them out with the best possible intentions. I have received a gift from this client, a gift I treasure.

It's my pleasure, but more importantly my privilege, to give the gift of massage.  To send a more mellow and peaceful person into the world means I shared a little of my sunshine, and got a ton of it right back.

No comments:

Post a Comment